This page is here to help you remove Vostran.com. This Vostran.com removal guide is suitable for Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer, as well as all Windows versions.
What is Vosteran.com Search?
The Vosteran Search browser is an add-on that is technically a PUP, or Potentially Unwanted Program that hijacks your browser. It first started making forums and blogs in 2014 and claims to enhance browsing experience by enabling quicker and more effective links to social media websites. While the concept of this seems beneficial, most users declare it to be a browser-hijacker/redirect virus, like Delta-Homes.com. Vosteran.com is involved with free software downloads and uses ‘bundling’ – the collecting of products (free software downloads) in one parcel for the down-loader. This concept makes some economic sense as the recipient is getting something for free at the expense of a little free marketing that may generate a later sale for one of the companies included in the bundle. This makes great commercial sense, and is not so much of a pain for the person consciously getting a little extraneous software and advertising, right? Wrong! Not in the case of the Vosteran Search program. Delete Vosteran.com Search immediately if you are unlucky enough to ever see it on your screen. It is insidious and much more than just aggressive marketing…
What is the malicious activity of Vosteran.com
- Track and monitor your browsing history and bookmarks for access to other parties;
- Log I.P addresses and your geographical location;
- Redirect you to unrequested websites, perhaps for the purpose of an attack by a more virulent malware threat;
- Key-log any personal information that you enter on visited pages…
So you see, even if you could bear the circus of random and unwanted advertising and redirection, there is a real risk that you could be leaving the door open to a compromise of privacy and possibility of identity theft. Key-logging can uncover numbers and pins for bank cards and passwords: it is vital to root-out and get rid of Vosteran.com Search as soon as it’s detected.
It is possible to uninstall the program from your computer manually, though it takes some patience. Here is an outline, though refer to specific details for menu directions if you don’t feel confident to tackle this.
- Disconnect from the web (or Vosteran software may react when uninstall is attempted);
- Enter your system’s Settings (see on-line details for specific browser instructions) and using Add/Remove programs, uninstall Vostran.com Search, and any unfamiliar programs the have the same install date;
- Go to your browser’s menu and either select remove unwanted add-ons/extensions and delete anything suspicious or unfamiliar – this will save useful add-ons that you use. Or, if there is nothing that you will not miss, then take the complete reset option;
- Click on any browser icons or shortcuts either that are on your desktop, in the Windows main menu or links on the Quick access bar at the bottom of the desktop. Open the menu and select Properties. Then click Target and look for any file name that has letters/numerals after the .exe – and delete these extra characters – they are the ‘tails’ or the trailing links that will keep Vosteran.com alive on your p.c if not removed. After, press OK, and repeat for remaining links.
Vostran.com Homepage Hijacker Removal Instructions
1: Enter Safe Mode.
2: Remove Vostran.com from Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge.
3: Remove malicious attachments to browser shortcuts.
4: Uninstall the malware from your Add/Remove Programs.
5: Permanently delete the virus from Task Manager’s processes.
6: Uninstall the threat from Regedit and Msconfig.
In order to get rid of Vostran.com, please refer to the following step-by-step removal instructions for each of your browsers. Please note that you also have to manually restore their desktop shortcuts to their original state.
Before starting the real removal process, you must reboot in Safe Mode. If you are familiar with this task, skip the instructions below and proceed to Step 2. If you do not know how to do it, here is how to reboot in Safe mode:
For Windows 98, XP, Millenium and 7:
Reboot your computer. When the first screen of information appears, start repeatedly pressing F8 key. Then choose Safe Mode With Networking from the options.
For Windows 8/8.1
Click the Start button, next click Control Panel —> System and Security —> Administrative Tools —> System Configuration.
Check the Safe Boot option and click OK. Click Restart when asked.
For Windows 10
Open the Start menu and click or tap on the Power button.
While keeping the Shift key pressed, click or tap on Restart.
Vostran.com hijacks the homepage of Chrome, Firefox and IE. Please, follow the guide precisely. If you miss some of the steps below, there is a chance that Vostran.com will come back at a later moment. Here are the steps you must follow to remove the hijacker from the browser:
Remove Vostran.com From Mozilla Firefox:
Open Firefox, click on top-right corner , click Add-ons, hit Extensions next.
Look for suspicious or unknown extensions, remove them all.
Remove Vostran.com From Chrome:
Open Chrome, click chrome menu icon at the top-right corner —>More Tools —> Extensions. There, identify the malware and select chrome-trash-icon(Remove).
Remove the Hijacker From Internet Explorer:
Open IE, then click IE gear icon on the top-right corner —> Manage Add-ons.
Find the malicious add-on. Remove it by pressing Disable.
Right click on the browser’s shortcut, then click Properties. Remove everything after the .exe” in the Target box.
Open Control Panel by holding the Win Key and R together. Write appwiz.cpl in the field, then click OK.
Here, find any program you had no intention to install and uninstall it.
Run the Task Manager by right clicking on the Taskbar and choosing Start Task Manager.
Look carefully at the file names and descriptions of the running processes. If you find any suspicious one, search on Google for its name, or contact me directly to identify it. If you find a malware process, right-click on it and choose End task.
Open MS Config by holding the Win Key and R together. Type msconfig and hit Enter.
Go in the Startup tab and Uncheck entries that have “Unknown” as Manufacturer.
Be smart; be prepared; stay safe
When this completed, you should have successfully cleaned Vosteran.com Search from your system. Remember that with this hijacker, its main artifice (or self defence mechanism) to watch out for when disposing of it is the extensions that maybe hidden in any links to your browser(s) – they must all be cleansed. And when you are finally clear of this problem, there are the usual precautions to prevent it sneaking back in:
- Never click on pop-ups or banners unless you recognize and trust them;
- Never open attachments in e-mail that are not from known contacts, however familiar-sounding the language;
- For all free downloads, always pause and consider if it’s what you want and for any executable files – install with Custom or Advanced options (after all,remember the old adage: ‘There’s no such thing as a free lunch’!);
- Consider a security suite that will perform regular checks on your file registry; this will make browsing safer and more convenient. After you’re rid of Vosteran.com Search and hijackers like it – stay that way!